Job ID: MNSITE-1967 (90091211)3P
PowerBuilder Developer with Informix and Appeon PowerBuilder 2017/2019 experience
Location: St Paul MN (DLI)
Duration: 6 months
Attachments: RTR/Skill Matrix
Positions: 1 (1/1)
• Five (5) years’ experience in Developer/Programmer role
o A Master’s degree substitutes for three years of experience, or a Bachelor’s degree substitutes for two years, or an Associate’s degree substitutes for one year
• Two (2) engagements lasting more than six (6) months each in Developer/Programmer role within the last three (3) years using SAP PowerBuilder 12.5 or Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 or higher
• Excellent knowledge with relational databases, Informix
• Detail-oriented and excellent concentration ability
• An analytical mindset and critical thinking
• Demonstrable ability to discover and fix errors in code
• Strong communication and documentation skills
• Proven experience as a programmer or relevant role
• Excellent knowledge transfer skills
• Analyze, triage, and document Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 full build errors on Windows 10 device
• Review most recent Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 maintenance release update and Appeon PowerBuilder 2019 R2 upgrade documentation, as recommended in Appeon Bug #5047
• Determine appropriate path for solution to resolve build/Windows 10 issue: update or upgrade
o Update: Review, download, install most recent Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 maintenance release; or
o Upgrade: Review, download, install most recent Appeon PowerBuilder 2019 R2 maintenance release
• Perform PowerBuilder update/upgrade to make software build functionality compatible with Windows 10
• Review Appeon PowerBuilder IDE full build/deployment process
• Collaborate with junior developers to review and synchronize current state of source code and prepare new source code for full build, resulting in a new baseline “source of truth”
• Create source code library, code repository, version control document
• Perform PowerBuilder full build
• Prepare test plans for functional and user acceptance testing
• Perform functional testing to ensure desirable results and perform debugging when necessary
• Review and update PowerBuilder deployment tasks
• Deploy PowerBuilder executables and libraries to designated network server(s)
• Develop PowerBuilder coding solutions for OSHA credit inspection on FTA and new citation penalty defect and for Apprenticeship Active Sponsor count in Performance Measure Report
• Collaborate with Informix database administrator
• Provide knowledge transfer to State staff
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Description of Project
MNIT @ DLI is seeking one Developer/Programmer to perform PowerBuilder duties.
Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 replaced the previous version of SAP PowerBuilder 12.5 in March 2019. In the fall of 2019, the operating system was upgraded from Microsoft Windows 7 to Microsoft Windows 10. Since then the State has not been able to perform a full build/deployment from a Windows 10 OS device. The current build/deployment procedures are eight years old and do not apply to the current technical environment. There are several outstanding PowerBuilder fixes and enhancements that are waiting for a full build/deployment.
State developers have not received refreshed source code since October 10, 2019. They attempted to do fixes, but with the complexity involved could not resolve the issues.
There are eleven main business desktop applications whose source of truth has been compromised by lack of following code repository procedures and the inability to perform a full and error-free Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 build using a Window 10 OS device. Because of this, the business community must either find workarounds or do without performing some critical functionality of their business.
Appeon suggests updating to the latest maintenance release for Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R3 or upgrade to the latest version of Appeon PowerBuilder 2019 R2.
The underlying infrastructure and server platform that these PowerBuilder applications integrate with is being replaced (Lift & Shift) in 2021 due to end of support for server OS and hardware – the Lift & Shift project is dependent upon the need and ability for PowerBuilder applications to be successfully built and deployed.
The State needs an experienced, senior PowerBuilder developer to review the Appeon PowerBuilder versions and releases, determine proper action (patch/upgrade), prepare a plan, download, install, and perform PowerBuilder patch or upgrade full build, prepare/perform functional testing, prepare user acceptance testing, and deploy.
New full build/deployment procedures must also be documented and provided as knowledge transfer material to the junior developers.
Work is expected to be performed remotely.