Techincal Writer with business process/rules, documentation, MS Office and journalist/communication work experience
Location: Austin TX
Duration: 10 months
The technical writer will oversee the composition, organization, and editing of compiled information. The worker will work under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Examples of Work Performed:
• Develops and maintains user and technical documentation and project process documentation for business operations team. Understands the user’s view of processes and is able to put procedures in a logical sequence. Provides expertise on technical concepts of business rules and processes and /or user groups and structuring procedures in a logical sequence, due to a broad understanding of the process. Writes a variety of technical articles, reports, brochures, and/or manuals for documentation for a wide range of uses. May be responsible for coordinating the display of graphics and the production of the document.
• Develop, enhance, and maintain user documentation for multiple processes.. Develop on-line source documentation as appropriate. Maintain documentation libraries and subscription lists. Identify, create, revise, and maintain documentation and templates. Ensure appropriate control access/use of documentation materials. Maintain application and user documentation. Ensure messages and terminology is consistent across all written materials. Research and complete documentation service requests. Communicate accurate and useful status updates. Manage and report time spent on all work activities. Follow quality standards. Ability to work in a team environment. Strong communication skills; both written and spoken.
• Composes technical documents, manuals, bulletins, brochures, publications, training manuals, and special reports. Organizes and coordinates the composition of material and drafting of forms suitable for reproduction. Reviews and edits prepared material and illustrations. Develops and refines material for publication in journals and periodicals. Prepares informational material for release to the mass media. Works with agency staff in the development of formats, graphics, and the layout of publications. Assists agency staff in preparing and refining material for speeches and other public presentations. May research product design, capabilities, and compatibility ranges.
• May oversee the writing, editing, publishing, and distribution of specification documents. May review various resources and prepare analyses or summaries. May train others. Experience in technical writing, journalism, or communications work. Knowledge of the techniques and methods of planning, organizing, and writing various types of materials; of research methodology; and of departmental policies, procedures, and regulations. Skill in the use of office equipment. Ability to conduct research; to compose, review, illustrate, and edit technical documents, materials, and reports; to communicate effectively; and to train others.
• Consults with staff in the development of forms and procedures
• Plans and schedules documentation delivery
WORKER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
4 Experience as a technical writer, journalist or communications work
4 Experience with Microsoft Office
Degree Graduation from an accredited four-year college of university