Job ID: NC-606539 (911090916)
Network Engineer with Layer-2/Layer-3, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Cisco IOS, Nx-OS, Cisco ASA or PaloAlto, F5, NetScaler, WAN/MPLS and LAN Infrastructure Cisco Aironet/Meraki experience
Location: Raleigh, NC (CoR-IT)
Duration: 5+ months
Interview: Both Phone and In Person
Required/Desired Skills :
Management of Layer-2 and Layer-3 and troubleshooting/tuning techniques of related protocols Required 5 Years
Routing protocols including OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP Required 5 Years
Cisco IOS and Nx-OS Required 5 Years
Management of Cisco ASA and/or PaloAlto Required 5 Years
Management of F5, NetScaler, or comparable load-balancing technologies Required 3 Years
Management of WAN / MPLS Required 5 Years
Wireless LAN Infrastructure – Cisco Aironet / Meraki / or Similar Required 5 Years.
The City of Raleigh is seeking an Enterprise IT Senior Network Engineer responsible for implementing and maintaining the various networking equipment and solutions for the City of Raleigh. This is a contract to hire opportunity.
This is a temp to hire position. City of Raleigh are not able to offer sponsorship for the full time role. Only candidates available to work full time without sponsorship will be considered for this position. The salary for this position will not exceed $110,000 per year.
Enterprise IT Senior Network Engineer
The City of Raleigh is seeking an Enterprise IT Senior Network Engineer responsible for implementing and maintaining the various networking equipment and solutions for the City of Raleigh. Working with other members of the Network team, as well as other departments around the city, the Network Engineer will implement innovative and advanced systems to the City of Raleigh’s internal and external network infrastructure. Additionally, this position will be expected to travel to various City of Raleigh office locations to perform the on-going maintenance and management of the network hardware and software, planned obsolescence and upgrades, as well as, troubleshooting incidents, analyzing problems, and monitoring systems for performance. This position will also work with different departments on new site installations and creating technical requirements. This position reports to the Enterprise IT Infrastructure Manager in the City of Raleigh Information Technology Department.
• Monitor IT network infrastructure alerts and events including: review of logs and log correlation from disparate subsystems, preparation and review of custom reports from core switches, firewalls, routers, remote/distribution switches, UPS’s, wireless controllers and AP’s, load balancers, website filtering and proxies.
• In collaboration with the Network Operations Center (NOC) personnel establish and configure network elements for monitoring that adhere to industry best practices and methodologies for monitoring and alerting.
• Ensure all network equipment configuration is managed in a secure and efficient manner.
• Use knowledge of Layer-1 through layer-7 networking technologies to provide end-users with reliable IT solutions.
• Manage network services, workloads and schedules of vendors and suppliers, and foremost the OLA’s and SLA’s governing IT solutions.
• Plan and participate in the life-cycle management of the networking gear, and in the continuous equipment replacement cycle activities.
• Manage inventory of all networking equipment and implement new network infrastructure for new site implementations and site refreshes.
• Create network diagrams and documentation using versioning methodologies to ensure accurate and up to date records of deployed solutions, as well as maintain existing documentation.
• Participate in the network team service desk queue, and efficiently identify and remediate any incidents and problems escalated.
• Manage vendors, suppliers, service providers, and stakeholders during the remediation activities.
• React to alerts, incidents, problems, and requests escalated to the network team.
• Use industry standard troubleshooting tools/equipment/techniques (packet-capture and analysis, protocol analyzers and analysis, logging servers and alerting platforms), as well as, experience and imagination in correlation of events to accelerate remediation of impaired IT services.
• Identify bugs and deficiencies in networking hardware or software, come up with remediation plan(s), and successfully implement remedies to identified network anomalies.
• Share understanding of remediation procedures and techniques with teammates (both formally and informally) to preserve knowledge.
• Assist with the management and implementation of network infrastructure related projects, including: commissioning of newly constructed facilities, networking hardware and software lease refreshments, upgrades, change requests and incident management, and alike.
• Work with project teams across the IT Department and throughout the city to implement network connectivity solutions.
• Participate in site surveys and assessments for IT outfitting and rite-sizing of gear to match end-user’s requirements.
• Plan new site wired and wireless deployments from design to implementation.
• Travel to various locations around Raleigh, to ensure networking equipment is working optimally.
• Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
• Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of personnel
• Strong client-service orientation and focus
• Solid written, verbal, presentation, and documentation skills
• Self-motivation, and problem solving skills
• Expert in management of Layer-2 and Layer-3 and troubleshooting/tuning techniques of related protocols
• Strong knowledge of routing protocols including OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP,
• Experience with IP traffic redistribution, route filtering, load-balancing, and VRF
• Strong understanding of VMware and Virtualization technology
• Strong understanding of Cisco UCS and converged infrastructure
• Strong understanding of VLANs, Subnetting, and IP Provisioning
• Experience with VPN setup and troubleshooting in an enterprise environment
• Hands on experience with Cisco operating systems including IOS and Nx-OS
• Knowledge of wireless services principles and understanding of controller based WiFi
• Hands on experience with Cisco ASA and/or PaloAlto, or experience with applications of network edge security in standards based security appliances
• Experience with VoIP is highly desirable (concepts, their application and setup, troubleshooting)
• Experience with MPLS is highly desirable (concepts, their application and setup, troubleshooting)
• Experience with F5, NetScaler, or comparable load-balancing technologies is highly desirable
• Knowledge of IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and IT Service Management (ITSM) methodologies – ITILv3 Certification is desirable
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of 5 years of experience as a network engineer/administrator in an enterprise environment
• Associate degree in Information Technology or related experience required. Applicants may substitute additional relevant experience for the required education.
• Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) preferred, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) required.