Job ID: NC-631291 (98191013)
Instructional Designer with Blackboard, Moodle LMS, Captivate, Storyline, W3C, 508 Accessibility, (must), WebAim Wave and database experience
Location: Raleigh, NC (NCCCS)
Duration: 8 months
Interview: Either Webcam Interview or In Person
Positions: 1 (1/2)
Creating and developing on-line training Required 3 Years
Intermediate-to-advanced experience with Blackboard Learn and Moodle LMS Required 4 Years
Experience using Authorizing Tools (Captivate, Storyline) Required 3 Years
Superior knowledge with W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Required 4 Years
Experience using accessibility checkers (WebAim’s Wave) Required 4 Years
Intermediate-to-advanced database management with a learning object repository or related instructional platform Required 4 Years
Proficiency creating instructional content that incorporates audio and video. Required 3 Years
Demonstrated knowledge of instructional design, universal design for learning, and online teaching best practices. Required 3 Years
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Required 3 Years
Excellent customer service skills and sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students, faculty, and staff. Required 3 Years
Ability to work both independently and within a team environment. Required 3 Years
Ability to research complex issues, make pragmatic recommendations, develop sound implementation strategies, and follow plans through to completion Required 3 Years
Ability to responsibly manage sensitive and confidential information. Required 3 Years
The Distance Learning Technology and Accessibility Specialist will provide technical expertise for the migration of the Learning Object Repository (LOR), assistance with the LMS, and review of accessibility compliance for websites and documentation.
Reports To: Director of Distance Learning and Change Management
Essential Functions, Job Duties, and Responsibilities:
The Distance Learning Technology and Accessibility Specialist provides technology expertise in Learning Management System (LMS) administration and management, database management for the Learning Object Repository (LOR), website management that complies with system guidelines, principles of effective design, and web accessibility standards. This position also researches, recommends, and implements systems, procedures, and policies to promote high-quality online instruction and compliance with web accessibility requirements. As a member of the NCCCS distance learning team, this position participates in the administration and support of the college’s learning management systems and other educational technology tools.
Primary Duties Include:
• Manage the database development and maintenance of the new learning object repository and assist the distance learning team with migration and curation of instructional content.
• Assist in the management of the System Office LMS and assist colleagues supporting the Virtual Learning Community website and resources.
• Provide web accessibility support, review and implementation of best practices to maintain compliance requirements of the LOR, distance learning websites and resource platforms.
• Assist System Office staff in the creation of accessible materials in a variety of formats including Word, PowerPoint, PDFs, multimedia, and learning management system content.
• Assist in the development of system processes and procedures to promote high-quality online instruction and compliance with web accessibility requirements.
• Research and evaluate the accessibility of instructional technology tools used by the System Office and those being considered for adoption, providing guidance for decision-making.
• Research, recommend, and implement systems and processes to facilitate captioning/transcription of instructional videos, audio recordings, and other multimedia content.
• Maintain currency on instructional design, web accessibility, and distance learning practices and tools, providing guidance, assistance, resources, and training based on that knowledge.
• Evaluate instructional technology tools and software applications for possible adoption to meet emerging needs, and assist with the implementation, training, and on-going support for selected tools.
Other Duties Include:
• Collaborate with System Office staff in disability services, instructional services, and other areas as needed to help ensure quality development of online instructional and support resources.
• Participate in LMS community efforts to improve the learning management system’s accessibility and usability.
• Maintain a professional attitude and customer service orientation at all times in performing job duties.