Job ID: MNSITE-1092 (912590614)
Groovy/Grails Java Developer with SQL, Hibernate, jQuery and Bootstrap experience
Location: St Paul MN (MDE)
Duration: 6 months
• Three (3) Years of experience developing Java web applications using the Groovy and Grails Framework (Groovy-only experience is NOT sufficient)
• Three (3) Years of experience integrating Java web applications with SQL databases using Hibernate
• Three (3) Years of SQL relational database design and coding experience
• Experience developing Java web applications using Grails 3.x.
• Experience developing Java web application user interfaces using recent user interface tools including jQuery and Bootstrap 3.
• Detail-oriented and excellent concentration ability
• An analytical mindset and critical thinking
• Demonstrable ability to discover and fix errors in code
• Strong communication skills
• Experience developing software both independently and in a team environment
• Ability to work independently and in team settings
• Collaborate with business analyst and developers to produce software designs
• Provide work estimates to project manager, provide frequent status updates and track progress against the project work plan
• Formulate program specifications and basic prototypes
• Transform software designs and specifications into high functioning code in the appropriate language
• Integrate individual software solutions to higher level systems
• Use web-based tools to create and advance applications
• Test code periodically to ensure it produces the desirable results and perform debugging when necessary
• Collaborate with business, development, and QA teams to develop testing and acceptance procedures
• Perform upgrades to make software and systems more secure and efficient
• Collaborate with business analyst to provide training, knowledge transfer, and documentation for user support
Description of Project
The Educator Licensing System Rewrite project is a multiyear project to replace or update over a dozen systems which manage the whole educator licensing process as well as associated data collection and reporting. The work for this contract will focus on a subset of this project to replace two data collection systems:
(1) The Staff Automated Reporting (STAR) system collects employment data for licensed and nonlicensed staff as well as licensed staff assignment data from school districts. These three data files are currently exported from district data systems, uploaded using a web-based data collection system, validated and stored in a SQL database. The STAR system also updates current staff data and validates staff assignments against licensure data.
(2) The State Job Board system will collect job posting data via a web service as well as via a web-based user interface. Districts that use third party job posting software can have their vendor integrate with the web service to automatically submit job postings to the State Job Board. Districts without a third party job posting system or without an integration option will be required to use the web-based user interface to submit job postings to the State Job Board.
These new data collections will be implemented as modern web applications in Groovy/Grails using MNIT @ Education application plugins and will integrate with MNIT @ Education data services for single sign-on and organization data. In addition to replacing these two systems, the contractor will provide web application development support when needed on the larger Educator Licensing System Rewrite project with and will integrate these two systems with the larger Educator Licensing System as required.
The success of this engagement is dependent on frequent interaction with other members the IT project team and the business area to communicate requirements, update status, validate implementation, and organize system integration and deployment.
The candidate for this position will be required to:
Have strong web application development experience using the Groovy and Grails Framework (Groovy-only experience is NOT sufficient)
Have extensive background experience in Java web application user interface design and implementation
Work well both independently and in a team environment. This project has a very experienced team. The candidate must be able to take business requirements and work independently to complete assignments. However, the candidate must also be able to work with other team members to implement required functionality and to resolve data and system integration problems. The candidate must also be engaged in project team meetings and provide regular project status updates.