Job ID: UT-66767 (99091126)
Cognos Data Analyst with SQL, DW, Modeling, security, Excel, ETL, BI and financial reporting experience
Location: Salt Lake City (UT)
Duration: 7 months
Positions: 1 (1/3)
Interview: In-person or webcam/phone
Looking for a strong business analyst candidate to perform financial quantitative analytics, quantitative analysis, data analytics, report development and maintenance, process analysis, forecasting and resource planning, and other related work as needed. Candidate will perform business intelligence and business analyst work with the State of Utah’s FINET system, State Data warehouse, and Utah State Board of Education information systems. Candidate must possess a strong understanding of financial principles to include funding management principles and practices, and tracking methodologies. Candidate must have strong experience with IBM Cognos, SQL, Databases, Data Warehouses, Metadata Modeling, network security, and web programming languages and techniques.
A. Degree: Candidates must possess at a minimum a bachelor’s degree in Business Information Systems, Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance. Candidates with Business Information Systems education preferred.
B. Business Intelligence: Candidates must demonstrate long term experience with the use of IBM Cognos, SQL, Databases, Data Warehousing, Metadata Modeling, network security, and web programming languages and techniques in financial reporting and analytics. Candidates with 5+ years of complex SQL development, Cognos 10+ experience, and MS Excel experience preferred.
C. Attention to Detail – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to be thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
D. Customer Service – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
E. Communication – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to express information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); make clear and convincing oral presentations; listen to others, attend to nonverbal cues, and respond appropriately by written and oral means.
F. Problem Solving – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to independently identify and solve complex problems; determine accuracy and relevance of information; use sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
G. Financial Principles – Candidate must possess strong understanding of financial principles, to include funding management principles and practices, and tracking methodologies.
• Applies understanding of financial principles, to include funding management principles and practices, and tracking methodologies to creates, maintains, develops and modifies reports, dashboards, and SQL queries for as required in support of the Utah State Board of Education’s needs
• Assists with the implementation, training and development of Business Intelligence Tools to support the establishment of or any changes to IBM Cognos and other reporting environments
• Designs, develops, and implements processes and reporting to support the Utah State Board of Education
• Analyzes and resolves new program and process issues as they occur in day to day processing.
• Prepares a wide variety of design, programming, and documentation tasks necessary for the development, implementation, and sustainment of reporting, dashboard, or analytical tool creation, and modification
• Leverages development skillset to prepare, structure, and integrate data throughout the analytics lifecycle
• Defines and implements complex SQL and extract, transform, load (ETL) workflows to acquire, filter, and enrich data as required for the project at-hand
• Partners with peer team members in the creation of analytical models using IBM Cognos
• Assists with the development/training of less tenured or experienced personnel
• Develops a strong relationship with business customers and deliver analytical findings in a manner that makes them easily understood by business leaders and internal customers
• Performs data research and analysis in cooperation with the Utah State Board of Education Financial operations section to determine and/or identify metrics for various Utah State Board of Education Financial operations key performance indicators
• Collaborates with the Business and IT to implement solutions and conduct user acceptance testing
• Builds and Tests reporting packages for Financial operations organization while collaborating with FINET Business Intelligence team
• Plans and assists in implementation of solutions that maximize organizational effectiveness through the use of technology and people solutions
• Provides supportive data for Utah State Board of Education initiatives
• Performs basic database administration tasks, performance optimization, index optimization, and writes advanced select queries
• Plans and coordinates the development of data structures, identifies specific data elements to be used in the system, designs, develops or modifies relational databases
• Follows prescribed USBE data standards, policies and procedures, information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices
• Prepares project plans, functional requirements, charters, time-lines, coordinates meetings, budgets, statements of work, standard operating procedures, status reports, cost benefit analysis and resource utilization estimates
• Assists in the development and completion of Problem Statements and Business Case Analysis
• Works with customers to identify report requirements to translate data elements to workable reports for the end-users and upper management